January 2, 2011 § 4 Comments
Okay, now that the post Christmas pity party is over, it’s time to breathe again and look optimistically toward a brand spankin’ new year.
I love this bit. It’s where I get to look at my life as though a fresh new clean page has just appeared before me and I get to fill it with whatever shapes and colours I want. I love that analogy too – it’s the third year I’ve used it. 😀
Anyway, on to the business of goals for 2011.
1) Take better care of my body. You’ll note that I didn’t write “lose weight”, “start exercise regimen”, “eat more natural whole foods” etc… The reason I put it the way I did is because vague works better for me. I’ve realized that taking care of my body can mean different things on different days and I want to make room for that reality. One day it could mean a brisk walk, another day it might mean a raw veggie meal for dinner and another day it might mean sitting in a hot bath with a glass of wine. It’s all still taking care. 😀
2) Finish writing my darn novel. This one is much less general and means exactly that. There is no after either. No worries of editing, revising or getting it ready for publishing. My only goal for my work of fiction is to finish it, have my characters meet whatever ends they will and then put it away to pass down to my children.
3) Treat myself to a bit of pampering at least once a month. This can be anything from taking myself out for a nice meal, going to get my hair done, an impromptu clothing purchase or just kicking everyone out of the house for a couple of hours. I have to remember that I’m a better wife and mother when I’m feeling best about myself.
4) I’m giving up writing poetry for the year. Sounds strange eh? But after going over the poems I’ve been writing in the last few months I realize that what seems like an outlet may in fact actually be a perpetuation. I want to write about good stuff, happy stuff, right now stuff, joyous and hopeful stuff…the thing is I have to give myself a chance to experience that stuff FIRST and then I can write about it. So although I may not be able to help whipping off a rhyme now and again, I most definitely will not be posting, or otherwise publishing, any poems or lyrics.
5) Be kinder to myself. I beat myself up A LOT and I am going to make this year a practise in stopping that. Every negative self-thought I have I will endeavour to counter vigorously. I will hold myself accountable for every action of self-abuse in as loving, forgiving and supportive of ways as I can muster.
Okay, that’s it. These are my goals for 2011 and I’m very confident that I will succeed in achieving them. Especially when I have the support of a loving family and great friends. Yes, I’m talking about you! 😀