Project 2011 – Week 45
November 10, 2011 § 2 Comments
I know I’ve been totally slack with the Project 2011 posts the last couple of weeks. My apologies. Thanks as always to Cate @ MomentsofWhimsy for hosting this year long project to share our progress on our 2011 goals/resolutions.
This week’s post is brought to you by our upcoming kitchen renovation. In two weeks, Hubby will make the trip with Mike to pick up our new cabinets and countertop. In the meantime the following list of things will need to be done so we can install them as soon they return.
1) Empty out the contents of the kitchen and find a place for everything
2) Remove existing counter tops and cabinets
3) Repair, prep and tape walls for painting
5) Clean, strip and prepare floor for new flooring
6) Install new floor – something we still haven’t even picked out yet
7) Pick out and purchase new sink and faucet
8) Install cabinets, countertop and sink
9) Install new curtain rod and hang handmade curtains
10) Sort through kitchen stuff, purge 30% min and put kitchen back together
A more organized person might be able to do all that in a week. I know me better than anyone else so I’m giving myself two. In between, I’ll also be taking pictures for a before and after post and I’m really excited about that.
In a way I wish it was in the budget to just pay someone to do all of this for us, it would be so much easier. Still, I have to concede how much fun, as much as it tried my patience, redoing the bathrooms with Hubby was. We certainly learned a lot in the process…probably more about each other than actual construction. 😉
There’s also a lot to be said about making a house FEEL more like your home. It’s been 13 1/2 years since we bought this house and though it’s felt like home for awhile, each upgrade and every renovation has made feel even more ours.
Granted, the bank still “technically” owns it but that’s a topic for an altogether different post on the subject of how homeowners are getting ripped off and paying for the privilege. But I digress…
Right now it’s happy thoughts about cooking french toast in my brand new kitchen, reveling in turning 40 and in general just being very grateful to be alive.