September 17, 2013 § 2 Comments
I LIKE Fall. I LOVE Fall! No, wait, I ADORE Fall!
Fall is my favourite time of year, always has been and always will be. Used to be it was my favourite because my birthday is in November and who doesn’t love their birthday? Family, friends, presents, cake…birthdays are the bomb!
Well, they used to be and then I turned 40 and frankly, it’s just not the same anymore. So even though I’m no longer crazy about my birthday, I still love this time of year.
Here’s a list of my favourite Fall things:
1) The cooler weather…I HATE humidity and we get it pretty bad here in the Valley. It can be stifling and make a person, even one with as sweet a disposition as mine (Hubby, you can stop laughing now), cranky and irritable. By the end of Summer I can be a full on biotch and right quick to snap. Believe me, by September, a cool Fall breeze is most welcome around here.
2) The changing leaves…well, darn it they’re just so pretty, aren’t they? Hues of red, yellow and orange decorating the trees are almost as nice as Christmas time in these parts.
3) Returning to the sanctity of my kitchen. I really do LOVE cooking but not so much in the Summer…see article 1). If we’re camping, that’s one thing and I’m pretty good with a Coleman stove but to cook indoors during oppressive humidity, well, no thanks.
4) Yard work…I know, I know…normally, I’m not a fan of yard work or gardening in general. As some previous posts can attest, I have tried very hard to grow a green thumb and have made several attempts at veggie gardens, flower gardens and even gardening in pots. Meh, not for me. But Fall yard work is different and more like cleaning and organizing than actual gardening. Trimming hedges, turning beds, putting my gnomes away for the winter and cleaning up the deck, I’m all for that.
5) Down time…ahhh, blessed boredom. Summer is a hectic time around here for the same reasons as everyone else but I’ve got the added busyness of 7 family birthdays between the middle of July and the first week of September. That’s a lot of dinners, presents and way more cake than my waistline needs thankyouverymuch.
So, I suppose that’s it…my top 5 favourite things about my favourite time of year. Stay tuned as I plan to start posting my favourite Fall recipes over the next few weeks.
Cabbage Rolls, Pulled Pork, Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce, Chicken Pot Pie and Beef Stew. Oh heaven’s, now I’m hungry.
September 9, 2013 § 2 Comments
Well, I’ve been ducking this post for quite a while.
I know this was supposed to be a monthly update but what can you do? Summer is short enough and I wasn’t wasting a second of it doing stuff just because I said I’d blog about it. And really, I didn’t do a whole lot of organizing over the last few months anyway.
But now that Summer is pretty much over and the cooler weather has set in, the urge to get back it has struck and I only have 4 months left before the end of the year. Yikes!
I just finished straightening up the dining room, even going so far as to remove the leaf from the dining room table that I had left in all summer. I put away all the miscellaneous stuff that tends to gather there and even put down some new place mats I got at the thrift store last week. Spiffy!
Going with the motivation from that, I tackled the top of the fridge. It always amazes me how much crap ends up, up there. I mean really? Anyway, that too is now all nice and tidy. For how long is anyone’s guess but it’s done and I took a picture just to prove that it is at least sometimes neat.
Well, that’s it for now. Later this week it’s the camping gear. We have to sort and organize it all before putting it away for another year. Le sigh. That’ll be its own post though.
Hope everyone had a great summer!