April 16, 2014 § 2 Comments
Since I can’t do anything about the weather, for now I’m stuck doing indoorsy stuff until Mother Nature sorts things out with Ol’ Man Winter. Oh well, it’s not like there aren’t a dozen little projects around the house that need attention. (Today I actually scrubbed the shower tiles…yes, that’s how bored I am.)
But yesterday I did something a little more up my alley and way more fun than today’s date with Scrubbing Bubbles.
I sewed myself a long coveted duvet cover. Hubby and I have been using the same green plaid comforter that we got as a wedding gift 19 years ago…I know, eh? We’ve gone through four beds/mattresses in that time but the blanket remained the same. It was always just one of those things…meh, we’ll get a new one sometime.
Anywho, a few weeks back I ordered two coordinating sheet sets on-line. It was a Groupon deal and I was really excited because the colours (purple/white with purple paisley pattern) would go perfect in my newly painted (light purple) bedroom. Unfortunately, I didn’t read the fine print and I assumed the sheets were 100% cotton, I wouldn’t have ordered them at all had I known that they weren’t.
Not that I have a huge grudge against polyester, I don’t, but I prefer to sleep on cotton bedding. Well, what a waste I thought. I washed them anyway, and though they softened quite a bit, it still wasn’t the same. Then it occurred to me that I could make a duvet cover out of the top sheets and still get the look (if not quite the feel) I was going for.
So, right sides together I sewed all the way around the sheets with an inch seam and left a 5 inch gap in the middle of the bottom. Voila! That’s all there was to it. I turned it outside right and stuffed our trusty comforter inside.